Monday, August 24, 2009

THE TREE MAN COMETH

This is the view from my front porch . . . a view that's already looking very different. For a few years, I have wanted this area cleaned out because the trees just kept growing, of course, and the limbs got lower and fuller. Each Fall, we have been inundated with a deluge of falling, messy leaves! The shade has been wonderful, but what I think I will miss the most is the privacy. At the time of this writing, they've only cut branches from one of the trees and--already--I feel so . . . exposed . . . like my clothes have been ripped off! Ack! This is going to take some getting used to! Along the side of the driveway, they'll be cutting down another slew of trees and as much as I won't miss the falling leaves, I am TRULY, deeply, madly going to miss my privacy. It's not that I have anything to hide, but our lot is probably the only one in our neighborhood where the house can barely be seen from the road and there have been times when I've loved that. That's what I'm used to, and I wonder how long it will take for me to get used to the new look. You've heard the saying, "Be careful what you wish for." My mind has been made up so many times and, without hesitation, I have wished the trees were gone. Why am I now having second thoughts? I just know my husband will want to put me in chipper if, after a while, I say, "Honey, I've been thinking . . . lets plant a couple of fast-growing trees." I'm really afraid that I'm going to say that, but I'll try to hold off until I've had a chance to get used to the new look. ETA: My yard after the tree removal. All total, 19 trees left the property!

No comments: