Monday, May 10, 2010

BIG ROOM, TINY SPACE

All of my classes are held in my stamp room, and my family, friends, and customers never get to see what it looks like when I'm working in it.  I've had the discussion with friends and customers before about how they stamp and whether they clean as they go, and many of them have stated emphatically that they do NOT like working in a chaotic mess.  Hmmm . . . I haven't ever found any other way to create.  You may be wondering exactly where on this desk I can possibly work, and it just so happens that I laid a stamp case in the very spot where I've been creating for the past 24 hours . . . it's the stamp case by the trackball.  Speaking of trackball, if you happen to have a Microsoft trackball that you don't like or use, I will be glad to get it out of your way!  Microsoft no longer makes them, and I continuously keep my eyes peeled for one--just in case something happens to mine (or it gets lost in a mess).  As you can tell, I'm not a stickler for cleaning as I go.  As a matter of fact, I go from one thing to another so fast that I am always digging for something that was "just here."  I am quite a pro at balancing a paper cutter on my lap because that's usually the only space left for it!  Yes, I get "in the zone" when I create, and that "zone" may very well look like the pits of hell.  I have tried to force myself to be more tidy, but it just doesn't work for me.  When the desk gets this bad, I have to exit the zone and clean, which I will do tonight or tomorrow morning.  It will look so nice in here that I will hardly be able to wait to mess it all up again.  In case you're wondering, I don't really "like" this chaos, but it's obviously part of the creative process for me.  BTW, the rest of room doesn't look bad and, for some (very good) reason, I always stamp, create, and design in this corner.  Whew! 

No comments: