Saturday, May 28, 2011

WHAT'S A "SCRAPLING"?

If you're like me, "scrapling" is a new word/concept for you.  A "true" scrapling is the 1-1/4" strip of card stock that is left when you cut an A4 piece of paper/card stock to make a 4-1/4" square card.  In the U.S., we don't typically use the A4 size (8-1/4" x 11-3/4"), so I never have scraplings when I make my beloved square cards.  I do, however, have a scrapload of scraps that were left from cuts made for layers, boxes, etc., so I dug (didn't have to go too deep) through my box of scraps and found the 2-3/8" x 11" strip of Crumb Cake card stock that I used to make this card.  The Whisper White scalloped strip and the Pink Pirouette embossed strip were also found in the scrap box, so I laid them on the desk in hopes of using them for this project.  In my little jar of punched and die cut shapes, I found the Early Espresso leafy cut and the scallop circle, and the Pink Pirouette flowers (from the Blossom Bouquet Triple Layer Punch) were already on my desk waiting to be put in the jar of punched and die-cut shapes.  This card may not have started as a true scrapling, but it was mostly created from scraps and leftovers.  I have to thank CherylAnn Robinson for sharing the idea of scraplings on one of the Yahoo groups because the idea behind her project totally inspired me to create this card!  While a scrapling may be smaller than a traditional card, I don't think any card should be considered too small for mailing.  So what if the envelope seems big and empty?  If anyone takes the time to send me a card (especially one that they took the time to make), I will not complain that the thought, hug, love, etc. arrived in the form of an undersized card.  All products used to create my card are from Stampin' Up! except for a Sakura glitter pen.  As I mentioned, my flowers are from Stampin' Up!'s new Blossom Bouquet Triple Layer punch, but I cut between the scallops to create petals so I could curl and lift them for a "fluffy" flower.  Other products used include "Elements of Style" stamp set, Early Espresso ink, white gel pen, Early Espresso and Pretty in Pink ribbon, pearl jewel, Square Lattice embossing folder, and the following punches:  Two-Step Bird XL, Modern Label, Scallop Edge Border, and Scallop Circle. 

No comments: