Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A BARN QUILT FOR MAMAW

This past summer, my sister, our sons, and I had a fabulous time on a mountain trip that took us far out of the way and onto an unexpected discovery in the NC mountains . . . a barn quilt trail!!!!  I cannot put into words the fun we had that day except to say that it was one of the BEST days of my life.  Shortly after that day, I made a barn quilt of my own and then my son and I decided that we should make one for my grandmother.  She's made many beautiful quilts, and she clearly deserves a barn quilt.  We looked at the pictures of barn quilts that we had taken while on the trail, and we looked at others online.  There were two design characteristics that we both really liked . . . the clever shading afforded by two colors of paint that mimicked dimension and interlocking squares.  My son, Chad, came up with this design, drew it onto the wood, and then painted this gorgeous work of art for my grandmother.  I am so proud of his design and this barn quilt and hope that I can convince him to make one for me.  You've heard the phrase, "No pain, no gain"?  This design wasn't an easy one to achieve, but it was "the" perfect design, and Chad wouldn't hear of ANY alterations.  I'm glad he stood his ground because it's even more beautiful than the computerized version and/or the printed prototype.  We still have a couple of touch-ups to do to this one, but we presented it to mamaw this past Sunday.  Chad, I'm sooooooooooo proud of you and your talent!!!  You totally rock!!!!!!

1 comment:

Ariel said...

WOW.
just,....WOW.

That is some stunningly beautiful art you have made, Regina's son.
I know why you are so proud!!